Sunday, April 3, 2016

No April Fool’s Joke on Us!



Instead of beginning our drive back to Maryland on April Fool’s Day as originally planned, we began a two week extension for our time here in Florida. I was so happy that I felt like a kid at Christmas.
 
On this evening, 48 years ago, the best April Fool’s prank was played on me when my second son, finally decided to make his appearance in this world after being 19 days overdue. If he had just waited 1 ½ more hours, he would not be an April Fool. He was gifted with a keen sense of humor that has kept myself and others laughing.
 
We made a trip to Punta Gorda to look for some geocaches. When we stopped for lunch at a fast food restaurant near an intersection with I-75, we were exceeding grateful that we were not part of all the traffic traveling north.
 
 

Unbeknown to us, at one of the geocache locations, a family of 5 frogs had taken up residence. Three of them leaped out at us when we first began searching. I’m not sure who jumped the farthest—us or the frogs. We must have looked very silly if anyone had been around to see this spectacle.
 
 

Some geocache owners devise cute containers to hold their logs and I liked this elf one we found hanging in a tree.
 
 

Another cache took us to a location where I saw a sign posted for an Alligator Creek Salinity Barrier. I realize that there are lots of government controls and restrictions involving the wildlife here in Florida and especially so for alligators. I wondered what kind of cockamamie idea someone had devised for the alligators that exist mainly in fresh water. I later learned that the primary purpose of this structure is to prevent saltwater encroachment, during high water events when the manually operated gates can be opened to lower the Alligator Creek level to increase the storage capacity upstream of the structure.
 
 

I saw Spanish Moss hanging on some tree trunks. Usually, I see the moss draping from limbs of trees.
 
 

We especially enjoyed this day and look forward to 14 more of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment